Tuesday, March 10, 2015


While others are excited about daylight savings time, I'm still trying to figure out the new routine. Having a toddler and running a horse sanctuary is a bit tough. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but the balancing act is a little rough some days.

With daylight savings time, I tried a new routine (i.e., I'd wait until I'd put my son to bed an then go outside). Unfortunately, by that time, it was already dark. Going to have to come up with a different routine. I'd also decided that with the warmer weather, Junior and Bo don't need to be stalled every night if I can get them grain early enough in the evening.

So I finally went out last night after dark to do chores. I was feeling sorry for myself  because it was dark. Yes I was riding the pity train, but some days I'm allowed. I'd fed the ponies, mares/Ivan, and was getting hay ready for the big herd. Unfortunately, I had to break into a new bale and this one is another one of those awful bales. The hay is so fine and so thick that the baler can't chop it. It wouldn't be a big deal but trying to man handle a 3x3 sliver of hay that's anywhere from 2 inches to 4 inches thick is a little difficult. I have no idea the weight on these but they are HEAVY. I know, I know. I'm supposed to feed based on weight but these bales that have fine/course hay are hard to judge.

So I was man handling the bale last night and I just couldn't take it. After getting one sliver half of the way into the wagon (and having another sliver drag along behind AND having the wagon try to roll away), I just gave up and crumpled to the ground and started to bawl. (That's me hoping on the pity train.) But the minute my butt hit the ground, a gust of wind came in to the hay shed, rattle the roof and touched my cheek. What I didn't mention was that it was completely calm. There was no wind, or none that I could tell when I was out earlier feeding.

Some might think I'm crazy and some might think I'm insane (who wouldn't be to run a retirement farm in South Dakota). But it felt like someone was telling me to hop off that pity train and get to feeding those horses. I'm not overly superstitious but it was a very different feeling. It certainly wasn't scary. But all I wanted to do was sit down and cry for a good five minutes and I couldn't. So back to fighting the hay I went and got everyone fed.

When I was done feeding the horses, there was a very light breeze. Un-noticeable had I not had that odd wind just come in to the hay shed. And when I say odd, I mean odd. I was at the middle of the hay shed so it would take a huge gust of wind to get to where I was at.

So I'll leave it up to you if I'm crazy, simply exhausted, or had watching over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment