Friday, March 24, 2017

What A Week

It's been a week. The paying job has sucked away all my energy and enthusiasm so I'll try not to be a drag today.


Last night we had THUNDER and LIGHTENING!!! How crazy to have a thunderstorm in March. At least it wasn't thundersnow.


The weatherman had been saying that we'd be getting snow and then rain from Wednesday through Friday. We got a few snowflakes Wednesday but nothing to accumulate. It looked pretty falling from the sky and even prettier as it disappeared when it hit the ground. I was worried about Rabbit so I threw a sheet on her Wednesday night thinking we'd get rain on Thursday and I didn't want her to get chilled.


We had rain. About 20 minutes of light rain/drizzle and that was it. But I was glad I had the sheet on her. On Wednesday everyone in that pen was kicking up their heels. Lace was tearing around and throwing kicks left and right. Mayhem was chasing Penny (or new dog..one of these days I'll tell you about her and in how we got her). Junior even let out a HUGE buck. It was such a big buck that all FOUR feet were off the ground. It was so fun to watch him. He's 29 and feeling fantastic.


Even Rabbit was willing to run and throw a little buck. Her run was more like a very slow lope, but she loped...on her bad shoulder. AND bucked a little. I took it as a good sign.


But after putting the sheet on her and seeing her Thursday night dead lame again, I wasn't sure what to do. So I pulled the sheet thinking that maybe it was putting too much pressure on her shoulder. It's a catch 22. Her shoulder hurts no matter but anything touching makes it hurt more so she lies down. But I'm afraid that she'll get chilled lying down so I put a blanket/sheet on her. But apparently that causes pain. So what's a girl to do to take care of her failing mare?


I ended up pulling her sheet last night and sure enough, a thunderstorm with thunder and lightening rolls through about 11pm. We didnt' really get anything for rain. Maybe a couple of sprinkles but nothing really.


After seeing Rabbit Wednesday, I had hoped that I could maybe let her enjoy the spring and even summer while the ground is soft. But after seeing her yesterday, I'm back to not really knowing when to make the call. I don't want to wait too long but I don't want to end her life if she's feeling better. I hate this part of Sanctuary. And she was off her grain last night too. So now I'm even more worried.


I have TWO horses off their grain...Bo is off his too. So with two horses not feeling 100%, the paying job stressing me enough to make me feel like I'm going to stroke out, and worrying about funds and fundraising for the Sanctuary I've come to the end of my wits and nerves. I'm not really sure how to move forward at the moment. I know it'll get better and a good nights sleep will help everything. It's the waiting and wondering that is the worse. It's been a hell of a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment