Wednesday, April 27, 2016

April Showers

This past weekend we took advantage of the free national park pass (and gorgeous weather) and had some quality family time out in the Badlands. With two small kids, we didn't do too much adventuring but it was nice to get away from the stresses of reality (i.e., paying job, sanctuary, bills, bills, and more bills). This entire month I've also been on-call for jury duty and I was finally called in on Monday (much to my dismay). Luckily the case was dismissed and now that we are at the end of April, I don't have to worry about jury duty any more and can start focusing again on the important things, like family and sanctuary.

I haven't really been paying attention to weather. I haven't really paid attention to weather all winter, and that's odd. If you know me, you know I'm a worry wart when it comes to weather. I guess my worry bucket can only hold so much worry and there's no room to worry about weather when you have no control over it. This past weekend was beautiful but I'd heard rumblings of colder weather.

I actually have to laugh. Last weekend we headed out to the Badlands National Park and it was hot out. We even snuck over to the Black Hills for an hour or two and it was beautiful. Now, both areas are getting snow! Luckily we are only getting rain. I'd heard that the weather was going to turn but I hadn't paid too much attention.

But I walked out last night to do chores and knew that it was going to be a cold rain if the wind continued to come out of the east. Last week I put up some corral panels so that I could start getting Bo, Junior, and Rabbit on grass to help perk them up. Bo and Junior are starting to drop weight and NEED to be on grass. So I left them out on grass for a little while.

I thought maybe I was over reacting but I'm glad I did. I pulled out a light weight blanket for Rabbit (it was Babe's) and pulled out Bo and Junior's blankets (wish they had something lighter but maybe not). Normally I wouldn't put blankets on but this is a cold rain and it'll soak them right down to the skin. Even if they can get out of the rain and wind, the wind will cut right through so I went ahead and put blankets on. Now I'm wishing I would have put a blanket on Rain. He doesn't do well with anything but sunny and 70 degrees.

Around 10pm I was glad I did. That's when the skies opened up and it poured. At least the three that seem to be struggling lately are snug in their blankets for the next day or so. I guess they never said what type of "April Showers (warm rain or cold rain) bring May Flowers".

I also dewormed the horses on Monday. Well, all but the mares and Maverick. I'd had the good sense awhile back to put in an order but apparently I misjudged the amount needed. So now we are four short and probably a fifth short because what went in Skippy pretty much all came back out. I'm a little worried that Jim isn't feel well after deworming him. I'm keeping a close eye on him.

Two weeks ago we ran up to Madison to pick up a small load of hay. We put the last of it in last night. We need to put in our (hopefully) last request for hay this winter (and will last through the summer). We pay by the ton and what we've already run through is what we bought the year before in big squares. We go through more tonnage with round bales. So now I'm going to be scrambling to pay for this extra load of hay. I have no idea where the money is going to come from.

While we were putting in hay, King decided to play Houdini and untie himself. Dude broke his halter and got loose too. I was able to get them both back in their rightful places until I could get the haynets on the hay (and before they demolished a good bale) but King once again figured out how to untie himself. I have no idea how he does it. He doesn't seem like the type to be mischievous but he is (and I forget every time).

Hopefully the hay will last longer in the very near future. I like putting the horses out on the lawn starting the first part of May. But with two small kids, I don't want to put up electric fence (and some horses don't seem to respect the electric these days and I don't want to spend a day trying to catch an entire herd of horses. So I'm going to have to drag out every possible corral panel and gate so that I can keep the horses in and the kids out. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to get that done. But the sooner I get everyone out on grass, the better. Some of the hard keepers are losing weight even though they've been on the same hay and grain all winter. Anyone want to come out and help put up corral panels?

Brego has been telling me in no uncertain terms that I haven't been spending enough time out with the herd.  He's been curious of what I've been doing when normally he could care less. He used to be an easy horse to deworm and then switched. When I dewormed him on Monday, he barely fought me. I think he just wanted some attention. I am going to have to spend some time with him. Maverick too. I think he's been pouting the last week or so.

Oh if only there was more time in the day. On the bright side, the days ARE getting longer although it doesn't really help except when I am out at 8pm trying to put a hay net on. It's not so dark that I can't see what I'm doing.

So much to do and so little time to get it all done.

Zeke and Maverick from last August

Rain and Chaos from last August (I've missed seeing shiny butts!)

No comments:

Post a Comment