Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Quick Update

It's been a little bit since I've rambled about the goings-on at the Sanctuary. We had a successful Light the Night fundraiser. That has to be my favorite fundraiser because it's so humbling to me to see all those that are being honored.

I've been trying to keep Bo on grass as much as possible. He spent all of Sunday on the lawn grazing. My family came to visit for birthday celebrations and I pulled Chaos out for my nephew to ride. It's fun to watch as kids discover horses and the joys they bring. But while Chaos was being led around, Bo decided that he was supposed to follow Chaos. It was a funny sight. I also had Rabbit out but she doesn't go very far from her herd. Bo gave up following Chaos after once around the yard and went back to hang with Rabbit.

The wind was a bit much on Sunday but nothing unusual. I went to check on Rabbit and couldn't find her. She'd put her self in her stall that doesn't exist! I think she just wanted to get out of the wind. I don't blame her!

Later in the afternoon, my nephew was itching to get back on and ride so I saddled up Rain and took him. There's only three saddles that fit Rain. My normal western saddle, the Australian saddle, and an English saddle. I didn't think fast enough to grab my Australian saddle and my nephew fits best in my saddle so I grabbed the English saddle. I haven't ridden English since right after my daughter was born (over 1.5 years ago) and I only rode for about 5 minutes. I wanted to lift a light saddle (that's why I went with the English saddle rather than my heavy western saddle) for that brief ride. But it's been awhile since riding in an English saddle and then try leading another horse who prefers to eat grass over walking!! And Rain walks MUCH faster than Chaos and his poky gate. But I think my nephew had fun and that's all that mattered. Even Chaos seemed to enjoy himself.

btw: Chaos is MUCH bigger than Rain. This picture is deceiving.

I do think the horses would be much happier if I could spend more time with them like I used to. But for now, I'll hopefully have another helper around the place.

I decided to put Bo in a pasture to see if that would help with his ulcers. I missed a couple of times with his meds so am making up for it now. I don't think the omeprazole has really made a difference. Unfortunately, he's still wheezing and coughing so the cold never went away. But the omeprazole is super expensive and I know the vet is going to suggest another two weeks of treatment. Bo hates the medicine and requires me tying his head down just to get half of the paste in. He's getting better but I don't want to ruin it. So I'm sort of at a loss. I guess I'll call the vet this week and see what they suggest.

I'm holding off on calling the vet for Rabbit. I have not made the decision yet but I'm really only waiting for nice weather. The rest of this week is supposed to be rainy and dreary and I don't want to have to say goodbye with that type of weather. Call it silly, call it frivolous, call it whatever. But I want her last hours and minutes on this earth to be happy and filled with green grass and sunshine. Not rain/snow and cold. That's not the way to leave this earth. So instead I'll wait. She's no better, yet no worse than she has been for the past few months. But she has told me. I'm letting her enjoy some grass on the lawn but she doesn't wander far. It's time. And I know it. But putting all the pieces together is the tough part. I know some will think I'm crazy but the weather plays into it, the paying job has to give me time off, and I can't have other stuff going on. This weekend we have Mike's parents visiting so even if it was nice weather, I couldn't bring myself to make the appointment.

People sometimes ask why I don't get more done. Well, that's why. There's always something. Either there's kids to care for, extended family visiting or doing something, or the paying job. Like last night, it was 9:30pm by the time we finally got the kids asleep and I could sit and upload Light the Night pictures (and fight my computer and phone...technology hates me!). Considering I have to be up at 5:30 am to get ready for the paying job, I can't spend too much time on the computer because I need sleep. I sit all day and read, so I need to be able to concentrate and not be exhausted every day while trying to get through the paying job. So, not as much stuff gets done. Would I love to have more help, Heck Yeah!!! So, if anyone would like to help, just let me know. I'm sure to come up with stuff that needs to be done, even if you don't live around here!!!

So that's what's been going on lately. Trying to keep up the momentum after the Light the Night fundraiser. Oh if only I could add three hours to my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment