Wednesday, June 24, 2015

This N That

The last few days have been a bit of a blur. I've been under the weather for most of those days and the days that are good are too darn hot so I'm not out messing with the horses like I would like (and need).

Mike does have two of the four tires back on the stock trailer. We'll be going up next weekend to pick up Ivan and Brego from their "summer retreat". I'm not sure if our pasture will hold but I'm hoping that by dividing it, that it will.

Mom and Dad came down on Sunday to help around the place. Mike and Dad tackled switching the fence around so that the horses could go into another quarter of the pasture. It always takes longer than what you expect. I'd figured within an hour or two, it would be completely done. Nope. Always seems to be the case. With the heat and NO wind, it took a lot longer. But we were able to put the horses out Monday after the storm. Unfortunately, someone blew through the fence yesterday afternoon and Mike had to go back out and repair it. I have NO idea why the horses are blowing through the electric fence these days. It's infuriating.

Two years ago we had horses over at the neighbors (when it was different neighbors) and they did great. But then I remembered we didn't have the entire herd over there. The runners/fence pushers were still back in our pasture. I just can't remember who that was. I think it was King and Jim that I left back in our pasture and it's King who seems to think he can blow through a fence. If that continues, he'll be removed from the big pasture and I'll have to come up with plan B.

But I DID finally order and get a grazing muzzle for King. Put it on yesterday but he wasn't going to have anything to do with it today but I pushed the issue. He was going to have to run me over to get out to the pasture without his muzzle on. I feel bad that he has to wear it but he's foundered at some point (under my care no less) so I'm doing what I can to fix the issue. I forget that he's such a big guy some times (until I'm trying to get the muzzle on).

Skippy and I are still going round. He is out on the lawn but I've had to picket him instead of letting him wander the lawn pasture. I don't like it, not one bit but otherwise, he'll be rendered a drylot horse. But if things continue to progress they way they are, King and Skippy will just have to hang out in a dry lot if they continue to blow through fences.

We are still waiting for one more utility company to arrive, then we are going to do some major cleanup with a hired excavator. But with the winds and terrible storms that blew through Monday morning our plans are on hold until the utilities can get here and I have no idea when that will be. I was hoping that the excavator would come this weekend but that's asking a lot. So hopefully by mid summer we'll be able to tackle some major cleanup around the place. But we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment